Making stuff is great, and making samples just try out a technique is also satisfying, but there is often the question of what to do with them afterwards. I was walking past a house in my neighbourhood which had a pile of oddments of bits of pine from some home improvement job. They were left outside the house, and it is a custom in the area where I live that we leave stuff out that we are happy to give away. Fortunately, I had a backpack and so I took them away because it struck me that they were just about the right size for my boro samples.
It was really strange quite how well they fitted together. The boro is just the tiniest bit bigger in most cases. The one with turquoise beads was cut to length but otherwise they just paired up.
I sanded the wood a bit and then was going to paint them with trendy Farrow and Ball colours, but I had a can of off-white chalk spray paint which I had bought to do up another street find, and I used that. This really speeded up the process, and, because I gave them a light spray the blocks looked a bit like they have been limed. Once they were dry I stuck the textile to the wood with a generous dollop of PVA glue.
This one is made with an off-cut from a red and white quilt I trimmed with some hand-embroidered laisy daisy vine wandering between the two boro patches.
This is made from scraps of sari fabric, worked with perle cotton.
This is a combination I really like of blue and orange. The orange beads are from a broken necklace from a charity shop. The orange thread is perle crochet cotton which I dyed for my boro workshop.
I am not quite sure about this one as it is a little pouch. I suppose it could be a money box
This is probably my favourite. Lots of Tula Pink fabric and some turquoise beads. I like the colour combination.
Grouped together I think they look particularly nice. After the workshop, I will be putting them into my Etsy shop.